Friday, April 5, 2013

My goal races

2013 has been quite a busy year. In sporting terms it's been incredible!

Having started running in March 2012 and then trail running a month or 2 later, I spent most of last year doing trail runs up to 15km in distance. Everything was going pretty well but unfortunately the ended horribly with the Muizenberg Mountain Challenge. Don't get me wrong, the route and terrain is quite something but everything that could wrong, went wrong that day. I refused to allow the experience to dampen my spirits and started planning my calendar for 2013. Well my enthusiasm has gotten the better of me as I now have a calendar all the way up to 2015!

After a 'longer than expected' recovery period I started off the year with the Wild Runner's Trail Series (short course), Lourensford Traverse 12km and Constantia Valley Trail Run 12km. May was the month I was preparing for with Jonkershoek Mountain Challenge 21km, Momentum Health Duathlon, Helderberg Mountain Challenge and Old Mutual Duo Challenge all entered!

The Jonkershoek and Helderberg Mountain Challenges were absolutely epic, though in hindsight I shouldn't have tackled my first duathlon between the two! Both these runs have pretty relentless climbs and by the time I got halfway up the Helderberg peak my legs were screaming at me!

Below are 2 clips I took at the summits of the 2 runs:




Next up I'm doing the 21km Greyton Classic, the 15km Salomon Featherbed Trail Run and XTERRA Knysna!

No races for a month after that as it is Ramadaan but as the first half of this year has gone, it will be pretty jam-packed with exciting races all around the Western Cape so stay tuned :)

No comments:

Post a Comment